Mental Health & Wellbeing
Mental Health & Well-being is important to us at Leamore Primary School and we want to make sure that everyone at our school is happy and healthy. We hope that, by achieving the Well-being at School Award, everyone linked with our school will be able to recognise those who are struggling and help people get support when they need it most.
5 Ways to Well-being
(Simple Steps to promoting well-being)
Research shows there are five simple things you can do as part of your daily life – at work and at home – to build resilience, boost your wellbeing and lower your risk of developing mental health problems. These simple actions are known internationally as the Five Ways to Wellbeing.
The Five Ways to Wellbeing are – Connect, Be Active, Keep Learning, Give, and Take Notice.
The 'Five Ways' help people take care of their mental health and wellbeing. Regularly practising the Five Ways is beneficial for everyone – whether you have a mental health problem or not.
Why the Five Ways work:
- Connect: Strengthening relationships with others and feeling close to and valued by others, including at work, is critical to boosting wellbeing.
- Keep Learning: Being curious and seeking out new experiences at work and in life more generally positively stimulates the brain.
- Be Active: Being physically active, including at work, improves physical health and can improve mood and wellbeing and decrease stress, depression and anxiety.
- Give: Carrying out acts of kindness, whether small or large, can increase happiness, life satisfaction and general sense of wellbeing.
- Take Notice: Paying more attention to the present moment, to thoughts and feelings and to the world around, boosts our wellbeing.
The Five Ways in action:
- Connect with the people around you. With family, friends, colleagues and neighbours.
- Keep Learning. Try something new. Rediscover an old interest. Take on a new responsibility at work.
- Be Active. Go for a walk or run. Step outside. Garden. Play a game.
- Give. Do something nice for a team mate. Thank someone. Volunteer your time.
- Take Notice. Remark on the unusual. Notice the changing seasons. Savour the moment.